Featured Post

Jewelry and Inspiration

What is the most fun about designing jewelry?  Playing!! I get the most from spending time playing, not producing, filling orders, or even...

What's New?

What's New?
A little press...

Friday, April 29, 2016

San Francisco International Gift Fair or SF Market....Where did it go?

I have been attending the SF show in, obviously, San Francisco, for many years.  Many seasons it is the only show I am able to do.  It has over the years had fewer, and fewer buyers, but has still maintained, for me at least, a decent amount of buyers.

Now in its hay day it had so many buyers you couldn't see the floor, and you could barely keep up.  Those days ended many, many years ago.  The question has always been where did the buyers go?  Well my take is technology.  Once the internet came along, access became easier on so many different levels and people decided not to go to shows as much.  Also the number of shows has increased.  There are so many different types of shows: fashion, accessory, gift, baby, car, etc, etc. that one can only handle going to so many so you have to pick and choose.

That is the same for a business.  It has always been a struggle for me to decide where do I go?  I have tried lots of different shows, and although they all have their perks, ultimately in SF I still have always done very well.

So this winter we were told that the show could no longer be hosted in the Moscone Center and that it was moving to San Mateo, well for me that wouldn't work.  I have childcare, people that come into the city to help me, etc. and they all take the bus, train and then we have easy access to do things with my son.  So I had decided that there would be no summer SF show for me, I will be going to either Magic or ATS.

But then they sent out a notice that the show is cancelled all together.  I thought to myself, oh my goodness, how could they??  So many of my friends from the show rely on it for a portion of their revenues, and many for contact with old customers.  It will clearly impact them.

But ultimately, I am sad to think maybe the show doesn't come back.  I am hoping there is some strategy to their plan, that they continue to offer this regional show, but maybe with a new approach.  Creating a buzz.




No comments: