Featured Post

Jewelry and Inspiration

What is the most fun about designing jewelry?  Playing!! I get the most from spending time playing, not producing, filling orders, or even...

What's New?

What's New?
A little press...

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Gold Fill vs. Gold Plated

I sell items that are 14kt gold fill, the chain I use, the metal I use to make pieces, etc.  When I do shows most people never ask what the difference is between gold fill and gold plated.  I usually ask them if they know, and they often say "no", but still don't ask me to explain the difference.

Why do I think it is important for someone to know the difference, well because it's like understanding the difference between non-fat milk and regular milk, you want to know what your getting.

So, gold plated is a base metal with one layer of gold over it, it rubs off quickly.  I recently bought a necklace in vegas that was gold plated, and let me tell you within weeks it was the color of the base metal.

Gold fill is a base metal with layers of gold-pressure bonded to it.  It lasts for a long time and is worth more than gold plated, although many people think they are the same.

Vermeil is a layer of gold over sterling silver, but it, like gold plated, wears off quickly, but at least you have sterling silver left at that point.

So now you know.  It's important to know.  You don't want to walk away with regular milk when you want non-fat!!

No comments: