Featured Post

Jewelry and Inspiration

What is the most fun about designing jewelry?  Playing!! I get the most from spending time playing, not producing, filling orders, or even...

What's New?

What's New?
A little press...

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Selling Jewelry Online

So I sell most jewelry through stores and boutiques across the U.S.  I have worked hard over the years to put my business in wholesale shows and sell wholesale, it isn't easy.  Doing the shows sometimes can be discouraging if it is slow, if people aren't buying, etc.  And trust me, it happens to all of us.  Each business gets used to the flow eventually but it isn't easy.

In addition to wholesale shows, I sell retail, and more specifically online retail.  Now this is a different story.  Selling jewelry online is an art.  People will spend around $20-$30 online for jewelry without seeing it or touching it.  But my price point is a whole other deal.  It is a difficult price point.  My pieces aren't extravagant, and don't take days to make, so I don't sell them to galleries or at high price points.  But my pieces are all handcrafted, no casting, they are made with precious metals, and yes they require some skill level to make.  Therefore pricing has to be appropriate.  Not to mention I have to be the same if not more than my stores and boutiques.

Which leads me to this, selling retail online is crazy difficult!  I have Etsy, 11main, Amazon Handmade, and I think I sell one piece a month total.  I have many ideas as to why this is.  Those stores that have lower price points, sell more, therefore they often come up more in searches, they are talked about more, and shown more, simply because they sell more, their product may not be beautiful or unique or expensive, but people will pay for it, because it isn't expensive and they don't feel like they are losing out if something doesn't go right.

So, my suggestion.  Good pictures, everyone says that.  It's true.  But think about your price point.  Think about your product.  Look at what the others are doing, and what is selling.  Then decide.

No comments: